The best way to get-to-know your high schoolers this year (freebie included)


The first few hours or days back at school are hectic. Timetables to give out, courses to enrol, books to organise. Annndd in my case - uniforms to check, planners to sign, and inevitability parents to call about incorrect shoes, hair, make-up, skirt length, nail varnish. We are busy: sorting out seating plans, handing out new books, sorting out target sheets and stickers, homework schedules, IEPs and TA resources.

Yup - back to school is hectic.




Added to this, most schools encourage a full-pelt return to hard learning. "What the learning question for your first lesson?"

Sometimes we just need a little bit of time.

For my new classes with older students – I like to gain 10 minutes or so with a few easy ‘get to know you’ activities.  

Espresso Yourself - does that just that. Buys me 10 minutes to calm, followed by quality chat with the kids I have only just met.  While I am muddling through the register and seating plan, they are telling me everything I need to know about them.

 
How do you love to get to know your HS students?
I'd love to hear your ideas in the comments below.
 
 
You can download my Espresso Yourself worksheet (and a few other goodies) here for FREE. Enjoy!
 

Comments

Popular Posts